You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go.
-Dr. Seuss

Thursday, May 1, 2014

For The Campesinos: Thank you for picking our daily bread

Today is International Worker's day...

Everyday I roll out of bed. I turn off my alarm clock lazily and turn on the lights. As I get ready for school I try to be as awake as possible. I go down the stairs and in to the kitchen, grab a snack, kiss my mom and out the door I go. Walk, walk, walk I go with my brother to my side. I wait for the bus...I get on the bus and sit next to Maria.

When I look out the window I see people with their backs to me. They are bending over picking the daily bread for us all. I see them running from one side to the next. Carrying boxes and picking frantically. I stare...I cannot believe my eyes.

I go to school, I study, and learn material, When I get back on the bus for my ride home and I look out the window...I see people with their backs to me. I see people sitting on the floor, eating their meals.  They sit on the dirt, right next to the soil they have spent tilling for minutes, hours, days, lifetimes. I stare. I have been in school for six hours. I have learned something new and have expanded my knowledge. They have sold some of their health away, they have shortened their years in life...

They pick the daily bread
I eat the daily bread 

They sit on the floor
I sit on a desk

They bend over
I stand tall 

They hold a fruit
I hold a pencil 

They work under the sun
I work under a roof

They feed a family
I am fed by my family

They are human
I am human

The injustice that the Campesinos go through each and every day does not have a name! I am disgusted by the way these human being are treated...

No comments:

Post a Comment