You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go.
-Dr. Seuss

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

vocabulary #9


1.aficionado: someone who is devoted to something, very enthusiastic about an activity.
When my brother was younger he was a complete aficionado when it came to building legos.

2.browbeat: a bully, someone intimidating who uses abusive words.
I have always found it difficult to get along with browbeat kind of people.

3.commensurate: having the same measure, in proportion.
When baking goods my sister and I always commensurate our supplies.

4.diaphanous: transparent, translucent, light, delicate
I put on a very tough and unbreakable personality, but in reality I am vey diaphanous.

5.emolument: profit, salary
I made sure to count the emolument of the day before I lest the shop.

6.foray: quick raid/attack
The climax in the novel was when his brother died from a foray when hiding at the neighbor’s house.

7.genre: class or category
I love reading books that are part of the fiction genre.

8.homily: a biblical sermon
Every Sunday Father John gives a brief homily about the bible is tying to communicate to us.

9.immure: to shut in, to enclose
Some days I feel like stopping the universe and immuring life for a couple of hours.

10.insouciant: free from concern, worry; care free
The only times when I am truly insouciant is when I am surrounded by people that love me and that I love as well.

11.matrix: an environment that constitutes the place or point from which something else originates.
Apple computers was a matrix for the I-pod and the Iphone’s.

12.obsequies: funeral or ceremony
I do not like attending any type of obsequies, because they are solemn and melancholic.

13.panache: flamboyant style of manner or confidence
Ana is a person that attracts many people because of her panache personality.

14.persona:  a character or their characteristics
Ken’s persona struck me as cocky and vain.

15.philippic: any of the speeches delivered Demosthenes against king Philip.
We learned about the Philippic speeches in History last week.
16.Prurient: having lustful thoughts/desires
To Catholics being prurient would be a sin.

17.Sacrosanct: extremely sacred, above and beyond criticism
The body and blood of Christ is sacrosanct to Catholics.

18.Systemic: pertaining to a system or a group/body of people.
Facebook is a systematic web because it lies on the hands of many.
19.Tendentious: showing tendency, bias…
It surprises me how many people show tendentious attitudes without even noticing it.

20.Vicissitude: a change occurring in the course of something, usually something bad.
I categorized the triathlon as a vicissitude because it was in the middle of all of my college applications and scholarships.



No comments:

Post a Comment