You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go.
-Dr. Seuss

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

FILTER BUBBLES


a) Ted Talks are amazing! From this video I have learned that we as internet magnets are being isolated from our own world. Based on certain factors the web is choosing what we see on our computer screens. We are not in control of what we see on the web.

b) This new information makes me wonder; what kind of news do I get when I search up a certain word and/or topic? Is it essential? Now I am aware that the internet is not making me aware of my surroundings. It is not giving me the full spectrum I thought I was getting when searching things on the internet.

c) The questions I am asking myself is how do I know that the stuff I am searching on the internet is as rich and full of information than it could be when someone else searched the same thing? Why would the internet deprive the people that are keeping it running from information? Why choose their information? Do people not have the right to judge what they can and cannot see?

d) To improve the effectiveness of my searches is to use more than one web page and/or different technology. For example using, Bing versus Google versus Duck Duck go or my computer versus my kindle. 
ReplyDelete

No comments:

Post a Comment