You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go.
-Dr. Seuss

Thursday, March 27, 2014

SEEKING MENTOR

A little bit about my mentor:

My mentor is a person that leads by action! She is an English teacher at Ernest Righetti High School and also my mentor. I first met her my sophomore year of high school and have been keeping in touch with her ever since. She has a lot to teach, but has already taught me so much with her actions. She is an amazing human being! She enjoys life and enjoys helping others. Many students are attracted to her because of her kind and helpful personality. She also takes trips to Africa in order to help a program called YOFAFO (Youth Focus Africa Foundation) who works to empower Uganda's next generations. See an introduction VIDEO HERE. She is a great mentor who is willing to get help from an open-minded, compassionate, and awesome person!

Mrs.Byrne, my mentor has a lot to teach me. Mostly what I want to learn about her and experience through her is why she does what she does. I want to know what motivates her to wake up every morning and be present for her students, be helpful, and kind. She is very intelligent so she does her research on compassion and science and how they intertwine. I always find our conversations so interesting. It is like when two children find a new toy and cannot wait to tell their friends about it. What I am also very interested about Mrs. Byrne is how she makes an effort to live life and not just exist. There is a lot I have to learn from her, but it is mostly likely that I will have to watch for the answer rather than hear it.

QUESTIONS: 


  • When did you first become interested in compassion? 
  • How did you first become involved in YOFAFO and how has it changed and/or influenced your life?
  • Why do you think compassion is biased?
  • Do you practice a special ritual before beginning your day?
  • How do you keep yourself from living and not just existing? 
  • How can I make my masterpiece better?
  • What is the difference between giving up on someone and just accepting the fact that you cannot give anymore of yourself to that person? Is there a difference?

No comments:

Post a Comment