You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go.
-Dr. Seuss

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Cesar Chavez



"It's ironic that those who till the soil, cultivate and harvest the fruits, vegetables, and other foods that fill your tables with abundance have nothing left for themselves." - Cesar Chavez

I am angry...How can a person cultivate food yet not be able to feed their own family? You see this issue is NOT about the ethnicity, or the social status of the person. This is about justice...Social Justice! 

Next time you are driving I challenge you to stop your car to the side near the fields and witness the unfairness. I challenge you to put yourself in the worker's shoes. Notice their tired faces, and dirty hands. Notice that water is unseen, notice that the bathrooms are porter potties, notice that there is no where to sit, and no where to rest. When and If you take your time to witness the injustice...notice the oppression. I challenge you to not feel pain, anger or sympathy.

The Article below has more information on Cesar Chavez make sure to check it out. Also don't miss the movie  Cesar Chavez (2014). I watched it today and am left so inspired by this man. It is definitely worth your time and money! A new and detailed biography by Miriam Pawell "The Crusades Of Cesar Chavez" just came out. make sure to check it out! Also check out the United Farm Workers website here: http://www.ufw.org/ and the Cesar Chavez Foundation website  here: https://www.chavezfoundation.org/






2 comments:

  1. Hey Erica,
    I just wanted to say that I saw the movie literally like an hour ago and it has touched me in me so many levels. When I saw this post on my dashboard I clicked on it immediately! I thought it was so ironic and I just wanted to let you know that hahaha.
    Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Ricky!!
    Thanks!! I know this man was amazing and the movie captured his essence in so many ways! It truly touched me as well. I also have another post on him below this one and one posted today titled "Remembering Cesar Chavez." :)

    ReplyDelete