You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go.
-Dr. Seuss

Monday, January 27, 2014

WHAT'S THE STORY?


Why did Charles Dickens write the novel you're reading/reviewing? What in your analysis of literary techniques led you to this conclusion? (Make sure to include textual support illustrating Dickens' use of at least three techniques we've studied/discussed this year.)


      I am a Latina seventeen years old and according to society I am currently trying to find myself. I am disobedient, reckless and I don’t know anything because unlike everyone else older than I; I am not “experienced.” I am also considered minority and society does not really have great expectations for me. In this novel we are introduced to Pip the main character who is a young boy that is constantly struggling with what society and certain people want to mold him into compared to what he wants to become. In reality he is not quite sure of himself. As a reader I know that he wants to become a gentleman, a man of wealth and high class.

      Dickens wrote “Great Expectations” to introduce society to their actions in regards of social class and the desires and consequences that come with it. Dickens presented this an unordinary way. A novel. The literary techniques that led me to this conclusion are diction of characters (characterization), and the Narrator.


Examples:
1) Estella: “With this boy! Why, he is a common labouring- boy!”
2) Mrs. Hubble: “ Why is it that the young are never grateful?”
3) Pip: “It is a most miserable thing to feel ashamed of home. It had never been a very pleasant place to me, because of my sister’s temper. But Joe had sanctified it, and I had believed in it.
4) Pip: “What I wanted, who can say? How can I say, when I never knew? What I dreaded was, that in some unlucky hour I, being at my grimiest and commonest, should lift my eyes and see Estella looking in at one of the wooden windows of the forge.”


No comments:

Post a Comment