You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go.
-Dr. Seuss

Monday, September 23, 2013

vocabulary #6


1.Obsequious: showing servile compliance, obedience
After countless rounds of arguing I turned from resistant to obsequious.
2.Beatitude: exalted happiness
Sarah experienced beatitude when her mom told her she would be having a baby boy.
3.bete noire: disliked person or thing
I would rather have a bête noire against something rather than a hatred against something.
4.bode: give a hint to what’s to come
My dad gave me a bode about my birthday present when asking me what kind of phone I wanted.
5.dank: moist, humid, damp
The rocks were so dank that Riley fell and hurt her ankle right away.
6.ecumenical: universal, general
Same sex marriage is an ecumenical topic.
7.fervid: enthusiastic, burning in spirit
Kyle’s has such a fervid and enjoyable personality that makes everyone want to be his friend.
8.fetid: bad odor
After exercising my body releases a fetid smell.
9.gargantuan: gigantic
Ana decided to throw a gargantuan birthday party for her 21st birthday.
10.heyday: stage or period of high spirits
My heyday will come when I receive my first college acceptance.
11.incubus: nightmare
I had a huge incubus that I got rejected to all the colleges I applied to.
12.infrastructure: framework of a system
The architect made sure to create an infrastructure before starting to work.
13.inveigle: manipulate
Annie’s parents tried to inveigle her to marry Chris.
14.kudos: honor, props
I give kudos to all of the people who are intelligent and not cocky.
15.lagniappe: bonus, tip
The waiter got a lagniappe for commenting on his guest’s outfit.
16.prolix: long, wordy or unnecessary
Lectures are often prolix, while classroom discussions are not.
17.protégé: protection, under patronage
Nobody dared to hurt Andrew because  he was under the protégé of King Arthur.
18.prototype: model used to illustrate
Mr. VP used the skeleton as a prototype to explain the body.
19.sycophant: self-seeking flatterer
Eric the sycophant asked Pearl on a dance just because she was rich and pretty.
20.tautology: saying something twice in a different way
Dr. Preston often uses tautology in order to get his point across.
21.truckle: to submit tamely
Fluffy decided to truckle to spot by giving him the bone.
22.accolade: award, honor w/ laudatory notice
The football announcer gave an accolade about Beckham on national television.
23.acerbity: astringency in taste, bitter
The kiwi had an acerbity to it that made me sick to my stomach.
24.attrition: reduction in numbers, size or strength
Sadly, Bob and I got an attrition on our pay checks.
25.bromide: flat dull remark
He was so young and ignorant that all he came up with in arguments were bromides.
26.chauvinist: aggressively or blindly patriotic
It is good to be patriotic, but not chauvinist
27.chronic: constant, habitual
Everything makes so much sense when in chronic order.
28.expound: to explain or interpret in detail
In order for me to understand math I need it to be explained in an expound way.
29.factionalism: practice of faction (group within a larger group.)
High schools are probably the most popular users of factionalism.
30.immaculate: pure, free from spot
It is hard to believe that immaculate people exist in this world we live in today.
31.imprecation: malediction, curse
I have never really believed in imprecations.
32.ineluctable: incapable of being ignored or avoided
His bright pink suit and tie were ineluctable at the black and white prom.
33.mercurial: changeable
I am so glad that majors are mercurial in college.
34. palliate: to alleviate
Advil always palliates my back pains.
35.protocol: official procedure or system of rules
Mr. Rucker assigned us to read the protocol on the lab in order to know what was going on.
36.resplendent: shining, gleaming
Andie left the car resplendent after giving it a second wash.
37.stigmatize: to brand a stigma upon someone/something
It is a sad thing to find out about something through a stigma.
38.sub rosa: done in secret
All of my journals are in sub rosa.
39.vainglory: excessive pride in own achievements
He is the most vainglorious, stuck up, annoying person I have ever met.
40.vestige: surviving evidence of something no longer existing
My mother handed me down my grandpa’s personal journal which I consider an important vestige.
41.volition: exercising/choosing one’s will.
I left the meeting by my own volition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment