You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go.
-Dr. Seuss

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

VOC. #3


*Apostate: a person who forsakes his religion, cause, party, etc.
When students go off to college they tend to apostate many things in order to try to find themselves.
*Effusive: pouring out; overflowing
I was overwhelmed by her effusive attitude when telling us about her past.
*Impasse: a position or situation from which there is no escape; deadlock.
He found himself in complete impasse when put between his wife and mom.
*Euphoria: a state of intense happiness and self-confidence
I never thought Sarah would be in a state of Euphoria after her many rehab treatments.
*Lugubrious: mournful, dismal, or gloomy, especially in an affected, exaggerated, or unrelieved manner
Mike narrated the story in such a lugubrious way that I everyone in the audience cried.
*Bravado: a pretentious, swaggering display of courage.
Men usually have this sense of bravado to them.
*Consensus: majority of opinion
My mother and I came to a consensus that instead of arguing with each other we would talk things out.
*Dichotomy: division into two parts, kinds, etc.; subdivision into halves or pairs.
The Holy Bible can be considered a dichotomy because there is an old and new testament.
*Constrict: to draw or press in; cause to contract or shrink; compress.
When I got my first tattoo I felt like the needle constricted my skin.
*Gothic: pertaining to the Middle Ages; medieval.
The gothic architecture was very popular during the middle ages.
*Punctilio: a fine point, particular, or detail, as of conduct, ceremony, or procedure.
All of the pens I own are punctilio.
*Metamorphosis: a complete change of form, structure, or substance, as transformation by magic or witchcraft.
I believe one of the most beautiful metamorphic cycles is the butterfly one.
*Raconteur: a person who is skilled in relating stories and anecdotes interestingly.
After hearing the priest tell the kids stories I came to a conclusion that he is quite the raconteur.
*sine qua non: an indispensable condition, element, or factor; something essential
Tweasers are sine qua non when it comes to perfection your eyebrows.
*quixotic: extravagantly chivalrous or romantic; visionary, impractical, or impracticable.
I find Nicholas Sparks books to be quite quixotic.
*Vendetta: bitter feud, rivalry, contention
The vendetta between the Montagues and Capulets spoiled Romeo and Juliet’s love.
*non sequitur: Logic. an inference or a conclusion that does not follow from the premises.
I always get a bit disturbed when someone tells me a math problem is non sequitur because it just makes me over think the problem.
*Mystique: an aura of mystery or mystical power surrounding a particular occupation or pursuit
Throughout the novel there was a mystique kind of feeling.
*Quagmire: soft boggy area of land
Because I did not realize that the lake had quagmire near it I fell and hurt myself.
*Parlous: perilous; dangerous.
Erick rode his parlous motorcycle to the dunes at 60mph. 

No comments:

Post a Comment