You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go.
-Dr. Seuss

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

CANTERBURY TALES (I),



I understood the prologue to be a long description of each character. The discussion in class and with other peers on my own time has helped me understood the idea of the prologue much better. Though i am going to have to do some reviewing in the book for further details I think I got a good grip on it now. I would like to know if the tales came from Chaucer’s own experience or from people during that time or maybe even both. What I got out of our conversation today in class was that the characters are so unique, all of different ages, personas, from diff. environments, and social classes. One thing unites them and that is the pilgrimage. The prologue also allows the author to test our expectations for other people, to really think twice about how we think someone should act if they have a certain title. The popular technique in the prologue is Irony for the same reason that the reader has certain expectations of someone and is humorously deceived. I would like to read the story of the Nun because she seems so sassy and not nun material. I feel like she would be entertaining to hear about. She has an edgy personality that could easily start conversations going. 

No comments:

Post a Comment